Thursday, February 25, 2010

Finding the mojo

Well, I think I may have found my mojo.  I thought I had lost it forever, but lo and behold…there it was hiding in the broom closet under the vacuum cleaner.  Still wondering how it got there.  I am still in the “you don’t bring me flowers anymore” stage of my Weight Watchers relationship (as you may recall from a MUCH older issuance, I have a love/hate relationship with Weight Watchers…).  I haven’t been seeing the losses that I had in the past, and I am still fighting an up trend that I encountered back in November. 

I wanted to say thanks to all of you for bearing with me.  It’s frustrating sometimes being the grand motivator, and not feeling the motivation myself.  It’s been a pretty sad start to 2010 for me, and doesn’t seem to be getting any better. This week’s tragedy? Pneumonia.  The wonderful hubby (Steve) was diagnosed with pneumonia yesterday, and I am home with him today making sure he doesn’t do anything that he shouldn’t.  Oy!!!!  Despite this, miraculously, I do feel that my motivation may be coming back though…..

I think we are taking some steps in the right direction this week by upping the cardio and backing off some of the strength training.  On Thursday, Dwayne had me do a series of leg and ab exercises which took about 10—15 minutes and then he had me do a 30 minute calorie-burner session on the elliptical machine. One word-- Sweatball. Wow! Plus, I never knew I had it in me to do 30 minutes on the elliptical!  I think it worked out to about 2 miles and about 200 calories or more, when all was said and done.  Not too shabby.  Hoping that this will kick start things for me.

When trying to find my elusive mojo over the past few months or so, I did try to focus on the positive things going on.  Do you guys realize that since I went back to Weight Watchers in the late summer of 2008, I have NEVER missed a meeting.  I was thinking back on that accomplishment and that’s nothing to sneeze at.  I have attended meetings in:

·         Richardson, TX 
·         Garland, TX 
·         Lewisville, TX 
·         Frisco, TX 
·         Plano, TX 
·         Denton, TX 
·         Charlotte, NC 
·         Casselberry, FL

I think I will call that the Weight Watchers world tour! Too funny…I did want to mention that each Saturday in February, Weight Watchers is doing an open house at all their locations from 1pm – 4pm.  All are welcome (member or not!) Vitalicious (the Vita Tops people) are on hand, and they have some cool giveaways.  I have been busy on Saturdays for the first 3 events, but I think I am going to drag Steve and the kids to one on the 27th. I think it would be cool to have the family see what I do every Monday during my lunch hour.  They certainly see the results, but it would be nice to have them see what’s been keeping me going all this time.

This week’s meeting focused on eating out, and some planning that you can do to prepare before a night of dining out.  There is an attachment this week that talks about that in more detail. My advice to you is noted below, based on my experiences:

  1. Eat something light before going out. This way you won’t be ravenous by the time you get there.
  2. If bread is your downfall, ask for the basket to NOT be brought out.
  3. Think about starting your meal with a nice broth based soup. Studies show that diners who start their meals with a bowl of soup eat 20% less than those that don’t.
  4. Research the restaurant prior to going there. Most restaurants have websites with menus and many also have nutrition information.  If they don’t? Email the company and ask. Can’t hurt.
  5. Mental rehearsing. See yourself ordering first, and enjoying what you choose!
  6. Ask for a to go box and take half of your entrée home for another meal, or share.
  7. Don’t be afraid to order your meal EXACTLY the way you want it. We went to Pei Wei not too long ago, and they were more than happy to give me the Teriyaki Bowl with the sauce on the side, and the vegetables and meat steamed.  It’s okay to ask for food ordered YOUR way.

This week’s closing quote comes from one of my favorite songs of the year 1988.

"In every life we have some trouble;
when you worry you make it double…
Don't worry, be happy...... "

-Bobby McFerrin
GLUTEN FREE CORNER:

Pei Wei offers gluten free options on their menu! http://www.peiwei.com is the website.
RECIPES
Garlicky Udon Noodle Bowl

This soup is wonderful for those cold days we have been experiencing here in North Texas.  A little pork, a little ginger, a little garlic and a little bok choy make this a very nice soup for a light meal!

POINTS® Value: 4
Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 20 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:

½ pound udon noodles (or you can use whole wheat linguine or spaghetti if you like!)
1 32 oz carton reduced sodium chicken broth
½ pound bok choy, coarsely chopped
½ pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

Instructions:

·        Cook udon according to package directions

·        Meanwhile, combine the broth, bok choy, pork, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic in a large saucepan; bring just to a simmer over high heat. Reduce the heat and cook until the pork is cooked thorugh and the bok choy is tender, about 10 minutes.

·        Stir in the udon and serve at once

Nutrition Per Serving: (1 ¾ cups): 200 calories, 3 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 36 milligrams cholesterol, 947 milligrams sodium, 24 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams fiber, 21 grams protein, 96 milligrams calcium. POINTS® Value 4 per serving


Creamy Orzo Risotto with Butternut Squash

I am an avid risotto lover, so when I stumbled across this recipe, I jumped all over it.  It’s so rich and creamy! A wonderful, light take on classic butternut squash risotto. Thyme sprigs give great flavor but feel free to substitute sage leaves instead.

POINTS® Value: 5 per 3/4 cup serving.
Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 25     min
Level of Difficulty: Easy


Ingredients:

1 spray(s) cooking spray  
2 cup(s) butternut squash, cut into small cubes  
1/2 tsp olive oil  
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste  
1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter  
1 cup(s) uncooked orzo  
1 1/2 cup(s) water  
1 cup(s) canned chicken broth  
1 tsp thyme, fresh, or 8 whole sprigs (sprigs preferred)  
2 Tbsp fat-free half-and-half  
1/3 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese, such as Parmigiano-Reggiano  
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste  
1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste   

Instructions:

    * Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a small rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.

    * In a medium bowl, toss squash with oil and salt; spread in a single layer on prepared baking sheet, leaving space between squash cubes. Roast, stirring halfway through, until squash is tender and lightly browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.

    * Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add orzo. Stir constantly until orzo begins to smell toasty, about 3 minutes. Add water, broth and thyme sprigs; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid is nearly absorbed, about 15 minutes.

    * Remove thyme sprigs; stir in half-and-half, cheese and roasted squash. Season well with salt and pepper; serve. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.

Notes:
A medium-sized, 2 pound squash will yield approximately 3 1/2 cups of diced squash cubes.

Peel the outside of a whole butternut squash with a sturdy vegetable peeler. Trim the ends and cut it in half lengthwise. Use an ice cream scoop or melon baller to easily scoop seeds and membrane from each half.

Precut butternut squash is widely available in supermarkets and is a great shortcut for time-pressed cooks. Be sure to trim down the pieces to small, even-sized cubes or slices before roasting to allow for better browning.

No comments:

Post a Comment