Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hello there peeps! Hope all of you had a great weekend.

Ok…SO…the 16th was completely booked for my spa day, and so was October 23rd. The next date available was October 30th, but (say it with me) MONTH END CLOSE madness begins at that point, so we have a firm scheduled appointment in November. Just need to schedule the day off at work. One more tick mark on my seemingly-never-ending-list of to-do’s!

We had an awesome but CHILLY walk this Saturday. I felt great when I got home. I had an epiphany this weekend. Walking is great, but I think I am ready for more. I went online and downloaded the ‘from couch to 5K’ training plan. I just Googled it and printed it off. Several friends of mine told me about this, and I think I am read for that next step. I am going to give running a try. The way I see it, I don’t have the extra 50 pounds in my way anymore. If I try it and don’t like it, I can always go back to walking, but I will never know unless I try. So, wish me luck, and no shin splits!!!!

This Sunday, we had an actual night out with grown ups! It was so much fun. Our temple had a dinner to celebrate our Rabbi’s 10 year anniversary with the congregation and we thought it would be a nice way to spend a Sunday evening. I had my daughter snap a photo of hubby and me. The handsome guy on the right is Steve. He has been following the plan along with me and lost about 45 – 50 pounds as well, even though he doesn’t attend meetings. I really watched my points at the cocktail hour and during dinner. Meal and appetizers came in at around 13 points, and I even showed a loss this week. Finally getting past the maintain streak!!!


Dwayne, my drill sergeant (or giver-of-the-beatings) took my workouts to the next level this morning and increased my curl bar deadlifts to 65 pounds. Owie….but it’s all good. We are upping the intensity to try and keep a nice calorie burn going. He always seems to have a plan. I don’t question, I just follow!!!

It’s incredible how many hats we actually wear during any one week. I am a mom, the treasurer of my temple Sisterhood, secretary of my daughter’s elementary school PTA, Stephen’s wife, friend and confidant to many, and oh yes…a financial analyst. I am SURE that there are many more titles that I left off. It can get overwhelming if you let it. It seems like you almost don’t have time for yourself sometimes. This week’s meeting topic was so timely. It dealt with making time for YOU. What a concept. I spoke about priorities in a prior issuance of the newsletter. We ALL have the same 24 hours in the day. It’s how we choose to prioritize that time that makes all the difference. We always seem to make time for what matters. People? Guess what? YOU matter. Make it a priority. Please?

The way I see it, we need to be role models for our children. What kind of example are we setting if we don’t make time to take care of the CAREGIVER? I used to feel guilty about wanting to do things for myself, but I had a paradigm shift and decided that it is perfectly okay. When I joined Weight Watchers last August, I decided there and then that I would be taking care of myself FIRST, and then taking care of the family. I wanted to work on losing weight and starting a regular exercise regimen. I work out 4 -5 times per week, am much more active than I used to be and we are eating in a healthful manner. My family has embraced the lifestyle change, and we are all healthier for it. What a wonderful example to set.

It was pretty timely that the topic of this week’s meeting was “Me First”. I already spoke about how I make time for me. Think about ways to take care of yourself this week. It’s okay, I promise. The picture below was taken the evening of the dinner at the temple. We clean up fairly well!

Two timely closing quotes--
“If you think taking care of yourself is selfish, change your mind. If you don’t, you’re simply ducking your responsibilities.”

-Ann Richards, former TX Governor

"The name of the game is taking care of yourself,because you ARE going to live long enough to wish you had!"

- Grace Mirabella, former editor-in-chief, Vogue magazine

RECIPES:

Pasta Puttanesca
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

This sauce is named for ladies of the night. They would place pots of it in their windows to tempt men into the bordellos. I like it because it's spicy, fast and easy (...no disrespect to the ladies.) I love this sauce because it comes together in the time it takes to get the pasta ready. It’s a wonderfully easy dish, and is packed with a flavor punch!



Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Serves: 4 at a POINTS® Value of 9 per serving

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tin flat anchovy fillets, drained
1 /2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
20 kalamata olives, cracked away from pit and coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons capers
1 (32-ounce) can chunky style crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
A few grinds black pepper
1/4 cup (a couple of handfuls) flat leaf parsley, chopped
12 oz whole wheat spaghetti (or your choice of shape!), cooked to al dente (with a bite)
Crusty bread, for mopping (optional—will add POINTS® to dish…)
Grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano, for passing, optional

Directions:

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add oil, garlic, anchovies, and crushed pepper. Saute mixture until anchovies melt into oil and completely dissolve and garlic is tender, about 3 minutes: your kitchen never smelled so good! Add olives, capers, tomatoes, black pepper, and parsley. Bring sauce to a bubble, reduce heat, and simmer 8 to 10 minutes.

Toss sauce with cooked pasta. Pass bread and cheese at the table and serve with a simple salad of mixed bitter greens dressed with oil and vinegar, salt, and pepper.

Cook's Note: Get your olives from the bulk bins in the market, rather than buying a jar. The unit price is always much less per pound and you can get just what you need for each recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment